- Official name: Foreign Trade University - Đại học Ngoại thương
- Short name: FTU
Foreign Trade University (FTU) is a university established in 1960, located in Hanoi, Vietnam. The university also has campuses in Ho Chi Minh City and Quang Ninh. FTU is recognized as one of the most prestigious universities in Vietnam and has gained enormous achievements in providing talented graduates to the Vietnamese economy. FTU offers a wide range of majors and specializations in economics, business, business administration, finance and banking and foreign languages.
It offers both undergraduate and graduate programs for both local and foreign students. These courses are taught in Vietnamese, English, Japanese and French.
The university's reputation has grown steadily since its conception due to the academic and career success of its students and staffs. FTU is often regarded as one of the most, if not the most, prestigious universities in Vietnam. The annual admissions test to the university is the most competitive in Vietnam. Students from FTU are recognized as being active and well-qualified.
FTU Vietnam for the past 50 years, FTU has been home to talented scholars who have been drawn from all over the country to teach, study, and create. FTU provides a unique educational experience in an environment that prepares students not only for the challenges of today, but for a world that has yet to be imagined. The university currently hosts 25,000 students who learn to lead and serve not only through a strong academic curriculum but also by participation in a range of extracurricular activities, from athletics to community service.
FTU is committed to research, discovery, creativity, and vigorous intellectual exchange. The mission of the Foreign Trade University (FTU) is to nurture talents and provide high-quality graduates specializing in economics, international business, business administration, finance, banking, technology, and foreign languages to create and transfer state-of-the-art knowledge, develop learning and research capabilities and professional working methods in an internationally competitive environment; disseminate expertise and experience to meet the demand of the business community and economy; and become a center for cultural and educational exchange among countries all over the world.
The FTU is committed to quality through teaching, research, carrying out creative work, and fostering an intellectual culture that bridges the gap between theories and practices. The University is committed to good corporate governance, excellence, professionalism, freedom of thought in academic inquiry, responsible citizenship, creativity, innovativeness, team work, and adaptation to change.
Approach to civic engagement
Civic engagement has become an integral part of the University’s academic activities. The university’s policies promote civic engagement as part of its mission. This includes undertaking community development programs to serve the needs of communities; organizing outreach programs to raise awareness and establish networks; and building partnerships with the private sector, government and civil society organizations.
Civic engagement programs at the university take a number of forms. They are compulsory for degree purposes in all courses offered by the university, and inform extracurricular activities as well as activities directed at building the capacity of nonstudent constituencies. The programs are concerned with issues such as raising awareness in the field of international business, finance, business administration; community development; and capacity building. It is the policy of the university that community engagement is acknowledged for faculty promotion. The university provides community-oriented curricula in line with international standards and national needs and goals.
Foreign Trade University believes that it fulfills its mission through the contribution it makes to the communities in times of globalization. The university believes it can use its membership of various research networks in Vietnam to share experience and discuss joint strategies that could improve the relevance of higher education in the country and in the region in the twenty-first century. Approximately 50-70% of students participate in civic engagement activities. Within faculty, nearly 80% incorporate civic engagement practices into their classroom instruction, while around 50% engage on community-based research.
Foreign Trade University (FTU) in details
1. Year of Establishment: 1960.
2. Training Facilities:
- FTU HANOI UNIVERSITY
+ Adress: 91 Chua Lang Street, Dong Da District, Ha Noi City.
+ Telephone: (84-4)32595158 | Fax:(84-4)38343605
+ Website: http://www.ftu.edu.vn/
- FTU HCM City Campus
+ Adress: 15 - D5 street, ward 25, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City
+ Telephone: (84-8)35127254 | Fax:(84-8)35127255
+ Website: http://cs2.ftu.edu.vn/
- FTU Quang Ninh Campus
+ Adress: 260 Bach Dang, Nam Khe Town, Uong Bi City, Quang Ninh Province
+ Telephone: (84-3)33856481 | Fax:(84-8)33852557
+ Website: http://csquangninh.ftu.edu.vn/
3. Mandate: to provide higher education in foreign trade economics aiming at supplying human resource for the economic sector generally and foreign trade economic activities particularly, providing knowledge to community members for their specific business purposes, and simultaneously fostering the team of lecturers, academic researchers in order to contribute to national education, academic research and economic development.
4. Board of Management - Foreign Trade University 2015 - 2020
5. Degrees and Training Programmes
- Full-time Undergraduate Programme (B.A. Degree): 4.5 years, specialized in Foreign Trade Economics, Business Administration and Business English.
- Master's Degree Programme (M.A. Degree): 3 years, specialized in World Economy and International Economic Relations.
- Doctoral Degree Programme (Ph.D. Degree): 5 years, specialized inWorld Economy and International Economic Relations.
- Part-time In-service Programme (B.A. Degree): 5 years, specialized inForeign Trade Economics.
- Part-time In-service Second Degree Programmes for non-foreign trade graduates: 2.5 years, specialized in Foreign Trade Economics.
- Part-time In-service Second Degree Programmes for foreign trade graduates and non-foreign trade graduates: 2.5 years, specialized in Business English.
- In-service Training Courses on Foreign Trade Economics in different cities/provinces throughout Vietnam.
6. Faculties (16)
- Accounting and Auditing
- Business Administration
- Business English
- Basic Sciences
- Economics and International Business
- Postgraduate Studies
- Finance and Banking
- International Economics
- International Education
- Professional English
- Faculty of Law
- In-service Training
- Political Education
- Japanese Language
- Chinese Language
- French Language
7. Departments (11)
- Human Resources & Administration
- International Cooperation
- Political and Student Affairs
8. Centers - Institutes (11)
- Information and Testing Center
- Centre for International Development
- Center for Quality Assurance
- Institute of Economics and International Trade
- Youth Union & Student Association
- Center for Foreign Economic Research, Training and Consultancy (Feretco)
- Vietnam – Japan Human Resources Co-operation Centers (VJCC) in Hanoi and in Ho Chi Minh City
- Party Committee Office
- Russian Language
9. Academic Research Activities
Annually, the FTU has about 8 to 10 research works carried out at state, ministerial and university levels. Additionally, the FTU has a network of business circles with researches, seminars, workshops and conferences on business matters (both theoretical and practical terms). These assist FTU in improving teaching materials and training quality. Research works also offer businesses more access to business environment, practices and legal aspects.
10. International Relations
- A number of foreign companies such as Sumitomo Corporation, Kumagai Gami Company (Japan), Vina-Debon (Korea) and Hasebe Bank provide scholarships to FTU students who have outstanding results in their studies.
- FTU has connections with a number of universities and colleges such as University of Hawaii, California State University at Riverside, University of Buffalo (USA); Osaka International University, Tokyo Keizai University, Kobe University of Marketing and Distribution Sciences (Japan); Bejing University of International Business and Economics (China); University of Tours (France); Bangkok University (Thailand); Aalborg University, Copenhagen Business School (Denmark); Cambridge University, Birmingham University (UK), etc. These connections are reflected in the exchanges of information, research/training programmes and lecturers/students.
- FTU has connections with a number of international organizations such as UNDP; JICA, JOCV (Japan); VIA, ELI, ALI, REI (the USA); VVOB (Belgium); WUSC (Canada); OSB (Australia); DANIDA (Denmark); SIF (Singapore),... mainly focusing on the exchanges of scholars and teachers.