FTU Event: On the afternoon of July 10th, 2012, The United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has come to visit Foreign Trade University within the framework of her official visit to Vietnam.
Foreign Trade University, or FTU, is a university established in 1960, located in Hanoi, Vietnam. FTU is among the most well-known universities in Vietnam, covering a wide range of business courses among which are finance, management, and marketing. The annual admissions test to the university is the most competitive in Vietnam. Students from FTU are recognized as being active and well-qualified.
The university also has campuses in Ho Chi Minh City and Hạ Long - Quảng Ninh.
It has both undergraduate and graduate programs for foreign students. These courses are taught in Vietnamese, English, and French. In the fall semester 2012, the FTU welcomed undergraduate exchange students from the US, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, Japan and South Korea, who stayed mostly for one semester but in parts also for two. Besides student exchanges as a part of an academic partnership, the FTU also allows self-organized exchange semesters (commonly known as "Free Mover" semesters).
Foreign Trade University (FTU) in details
1. Year of Establishment: 1960.
2. Mandate: to provide higher education in foreign trade economics aiming at supplying human resource for the economic sector generally and foreign trade economic activities particularly, providing knowledge to community members for their specific business purposes, and simultaneously fostering the team of lecturers, academic researchers in order to contribute to national education, academic research and economic development.
3. Degrees and Training Programmes
- Full-time Undergraduate Programme (B.A. Degree): 4.5 years, specialized in Foreign Trade Economics, Business Administration and Business English.
- Master''''s Degree Programme (M.A. Degree): 3 years, specialized in World Economy and International Economic Relations.
- Doctoral Degree Programme (Ph.D. Degree): 5 years, specialized inWorld Economy and International Economic Relations.
- Part-time In-service Programme (B.A. Degree): 5 years, specialized inForeign Trade Economics.
- Part-time In-service Second Degree Programmes for non-foreign trade graduates: 2.5 years, specialized in Foreign Trade Economics.
- Part-time In-service Second Degree Programmes for foreign trade graduates and non-foreign trade graduates: 2.5 years, specialized in Business English.
- In-service Training Courses on Foreign Trade Economics in different cities/provinces throughout Vietnam.
- Foreign Trade Economics
- Business English
- Business Administration
- Basic and Fundamental Economics
- Social Science and Human Studies
5. Departments (Specialized Training)
- French Language
- Chinese Language
- Russian Language
- Japanese Language
6. Departments (supporting)
- Training Management
- Academic Research
- International Relations
- Political Education
- Administration and Finance
- Language Laboratory
- IT Department
- In-service Training
- Postgraduate Studies
7. Branch and Centers
- FTU Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Center for Foreign Economic Research, Training and Consultancy (FERETCO)
- Vietnam – Japan Human Resources Co-operation Centers (VJCC) in Hanoi and in Ho Chi Minh City
- Information Center
8. Teaching Staff and Students (2002 figure)
Number of teaching staff (full-time regular): 195
- Professors and Associate Professors: 5
- Lecturers/Instructors: 190
- Ph.D. Degrees: 20
- M.A. Degrees: 57
- B.A. Degrees: 246
Number of students:
- Full-time students: 4,600
- M.A. students: 150
- Ph.D. students: 20
9. Academic Research Activities
Annually, the FTU has about 8 to 10 research works carried out at state, ministerial and university levels. Additionally, the FTU has a network of business circles with researches, seminars, workshops and conferences on business matters (both theoretical and practical terms). These assist FTU in improving teaching materials and training quality. Research works also offer businesses more access to business environment, practices and legal aspects.
10. International Relations
- A number of foreign companies such as Sumitomo Corporation, Kumagai Gami Company (Japan), Vina-Debon (Korea) and Hasebe Bank provide scholarships to FTU students who have outstanding results in their studies.
- FTU has connections with a number of universities and colleges such as University of Hawaii, California State University at Riverside, University of Buffalo (USA); Osaka International University, Tokyo Keizai University, Kobe University of Marketing and Distribution Sciences (Japan); Bejing University of International Business and Economics (China); University of Tours (France); Bangkok University (Thailand); Aalborg University, Copenhagen Business School (Denmark); Cambridge University, Birmingham University (UK), etc. These connections are reflected in the exchanges of information, research/training programmes and lecturers/students.
- FTU has connections with a number of international organizations such as UNDP; JICA, JOCV (Japan); VIA, ELI, ALI, REI (the USA); VVOB (Belgium); WUSC (Canada); OSB (Australia); DANIDA (Denmark); SIF (Singapore),... mainly focusing on the exchanges of scholars and teachers.
Our core values
Quality – Effectiveness – Prestige – Professionalism – Advancement
The mission of the Foreign Trade University (FTU) is to nurture talents and provide high-quality human resources specializing in economics, international business, business administration, finance and banking, technology, and foreign languages to create and transfer state-of-the-art knowledge, develop learning and research capabilities and professional working methods in an internationally competitive environment; disseminate expertise and experience to meet the demand of the business community and economy; and become a centre for cultural and educational exchange among countries all over the world.
Our vision is to become a leading and highly prestigious university in Vietnam and be ranked among top 100 universities in the region with diversified training and education activities. The FTU shall include high-quality schools, research institutes, and corporations. The main campus is located in Hanoi. The FTU shall encompass campuses in Ho Chi Minh City, Quang Ninh province, and other major economic centres in Vietnam and campuses abroad.
Our Quality Policy Statement
The FTU is committed to quality through teaching, research, carrying out creative work, and fostering an intellectual culture that bridges the gap between theories and practices. The University is committed to good corporate governance, excellence, professionalism, freedom of thought in academic inquiry, responsible citizenship, creativity, innovativeness, team work, and adaptation to change.
FTU Event: On 14th November 2010 at Foreign Trade University, Hanoi, Vietnam - Former US President Bill Clinton had a meeting with nearly 1500 students of the Foreign Trade University of Vietnam during his trip to Vietnam and on the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the Vietnam – US normalization of relations.
On 25th September 2012, Faculty of International Education, Foreign Trade University held a solemn opening ceremony of the Training Bachelor Programs.
Foreign Trade University in collaboration with WTI and UPH organized International Conference on the ASEAN Economic Community in Jakarta14 Oct 2014
Foreign Trade University in collaboration with WTI and UPH organized an International Conference on the ASEAN Economic Community in Jakarta in Indonesia on October 14th-15th, 2014.
On March 17th, 2015, Prof. David Rooney, who is also an examiners of "Mekong Challenging Business" International Competition performed Demo class for third year students of Bachelor of Finance program of Faculty of International Education - Foreign Trade University.
Danish Minister of Education Christine Antorini makes an official visit to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city from March 4th – 6th.
Danish Minister for Trade and Development Cooperation Visits Jobfair Following a Vietnamese Danish Education Programme19 Jan 2015
The Danish Minister for Trade and Development Cooperation Mogens Jensen visited a job fair on Monday the 19th of January, 2015 for Vietnamese students participating in the four-year American certified Bachelor of Science in Finance offered jointly by Danish Niels Brock Copenhagen Business College and Foreign Trade University.
FTU News: On March 30th 2016, Foreign Trade University held a successful ceremony: "Suntory PepsiCo Vietnam Beverage Company (SPVB) awarded scholarships for the Business Administration students of FTU" in the first semester of the academic year 2015-2016.